Stradivarius violin of George Henry Lewis Parsons (d.1921) of Streatham Park [ Mary Law [ Mary Law Kingdon ] (1889-1919), English violinist, wife of Hugh Sewell Kingdon (d.1940); Antonio Stradivari ]
London and Streatham, Surrey. Between 1910 and 1920.
The owner of the violin in question, G. H. L. Parsons, had made his fortune with the firm Ashton & Parsons, wholesale chemists, also having an interest in the opticians Dollonds, and on his death was worth £127, 335 19s 8d. The woman to whom he lent the violin, Mary Law, made a number of recordings for Zonophone, and toured Australia in 1915, with the Melbourne Argus reporting the arrival of 'The Notable English Violinist.