[ W.B. Lewis, Civil Engineer; Isambard Kingdom Brunel ] Manuscript Journals (9) of an eminent Victorian Engineer.

William Bourne Lewis (1831-1902), Civil Engineer [Isambard Kingdon Brunel]
Publication details: 
1873-4, 1877-1880, 1880-1882, 1882-1884, 1884-1886, 1892-1894, 1896-1897, 1898, 1901-1902 (death)
SKU: 20644

Nine volumes, 1873-1902 (years as above, some gaps), mainly half and quarter calf, mainly marbled boards, worn but sound, neat handwriting, some signed "W B Lewis | 32 Lee Park". Unpaginated, all vols fully used except last (1902 year of his death), up to 350 pages in each, except one at c.80pp. The Journals of William Bourne Lewis, Victorian Civil Engineer, 1874-1902William Bourne Lewis was at the heart of the engineering world in Victorian Britain, and his journals give a vivid picture of the energy and ambition which inspired Smiles's 'Lives of the Engineers' (1862) and 'Industrial Biography' (1863). Lewis is accorded an impressive obituary in the Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers, vol. 153 (January 1903), pp.328-331, which illuminates the subject-matter of the nine volumes. Lewis began by working under Brunel, who 'placed Mr. Lewis in charge of the arrangements for the inspection of the materials' in the Railway Department of the Government of Victoria. On Brunel's death he continued as Consulting Engineer to the Government of Victoria, working with Brunel's successor R. P. Brereton. For several decades Lewis commuted regularly from his home in Blackheath to his Westminster office, and the ICE obituary coupled with the subject-headings in the present description below give an indication of Lewis's subsequent activities, which were hampered by periods of severe ill-health (on 13 January 1884 he writes: 'Completed my 52nd year. Am in wonderful health compared with three years back.'). Of particular note is his work at Bexhill for Lord De La Warr, and on the abortive Suakin-Berber Railway, a scheme which helped bring down Gladstone's second administration. Another feature is his work as Chairman of the Gold Hill Mining Company, which occasioned a visit to America in 1886. The journals reflect his active involvement in the affairs of the Institution of Civil Engineers (of which he was for a time Treasurer and on whose Committee of Management and Benevolent Fund Committee he served). Lewis also provides a number of vivid and informed descriptions of the construction and opening ceremonies of large scale public works, written with a constant eye for a good dinner: the Albert Dock in London, the Tay Bridge, the Alexandra Dock in Hull, Tilbury Docks, Mersey Railway Tunnel, Hastings Harbour. The professional element in the volume is counterbalanced and rounded off by personal and social matter: Lewis was a sensitive man with a great concern for the health and well-being of his family. The journals show that despite his own tender health Lewis managed to expend a remarkable amount of energy outside his professional work. He was extremely devout ('upset' at one 'grand supper' with 'no family prayers'), attended regular chapel and prayer meetings (frequently evaluating the sermons of 'Mr Beazley', 'Mr Wilson' and others), and was involved with organisations including the Mission Rooms at East Greenwich, and the London Missionary Society. (He even records that he 'Took the Children's service [at the Congregational School, Caterham] in the morning' on Whit Sunday 1883.) He was also a staunch Liberal, and took an active interest in education, as evidenced by his involvement in the East Greenwich Ragged School and the House Committee of Caterham School.Nine volumes, 1873-1902 (years as below, some gaps), mainly half and quarter calf, mainly marbled boards, worn but sound, neat handwriting, some signed "W B Lewis | 32 Lee Park". Unpaginated, all vols fully used except last (1902 year of his death), up to 350 pages in each, except one at c.80pp.The year range of the journals is as follows: 1874, 1877-1886, 1892-1894, 1896-1898, 1901-1902.The dating of the individual journals is: ONE: 11 June 1873 to 9 September 1874. TWO: 15 December 1877 to 11 August 1880. (as vol 4) THREE: 12 August 1880 to 30 November 1882. FOUR: 1 December 1882 to 28 October 1884. ('W B Lewis | 23 Lee Park S. E.') FIVE: 29 October 1884 to 9 October 1886. SIX: 15 October 1892 to 16 November 1894. SEVEN: 24 May 1896 to 31 December 1897. ('W B Lewis | 23 Lee Park | Blackheath | S. E.') EIGHT: 1 January to 30 July 1898. NINE: 1 January 1901 to 11 December 1902.The greater part of the entries are double-dated, with the date of occurrence followed by the date of 'entry' into the diary, as thus: '1880 - 12 Augt. entd. 14th.' The last entry was completed on 11 December 1902, just under two weeks before Lewis's death on Christmas Eve of that year.The following selection of quotations gives some indication of the range of topics to be found within the journals.ONE: Work as Consulting Engineer to the Victorian Government, Australia.TWO: Work in Ireland on Fermoy and Lismore Railway, and on Rosslare Harbour.THREE: Work on the Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster Railway, from circa 1874.FOUR: The opening of the Albert Dock, London, 1880.FIVE: Work for Lord De La Warr, Bexhill, from 1882.SIX: Work on the Regents Canal, City, and Docks Railway scheme, from 1882.SEVEN: Proposed work at Margate and Felixstowe Harbour, 1883 and 1884.EIGHT: Work on the Suakin-Berber Railway, 1885.NINE: Visit to the Tay Bridge works, 1885.TEN: The opening of the Alexandra Dock in Hull, 1885.ELEVEN: The China proposition, 1885.TWELVE: Visit to the Tilbury Docks works, 1885.THIRTEEN: The opening of the Mersey Railway Tunnel, 1886.FOURTEEN: Chairmanship of the Gold Hill Mining Company (North Carolina), 1886.FIFTEEN: Visit to the Hastings Harbour works, 1897.SIXTEEN: Foreign trips, 1873-1883.SEVENTEEN: His career.EIGHTEEN: At the Institution of Civil Engineers.NINETEEN: The London scientific world.TWENTY: Invention and innovation, 1878-1883.TWENTY-ONE: Book meetings.TWENTY-TWO: Education and Liberal politics.TWENTY-THREE: His son W. A. Lewis, undergraduate at King's College, Cambridge.TWENTY-FOUR: Miscellaneous.The volumes are in good condition internally, on aged paper, in aged and worn bindings.ONE: Work as Consulting Engineer to the Victorian Government, Australia:In Manchester on 30 January 1874 he goes 'to Gorton to see two Locomotives for Victoria [in Australia], afterwards visited Whitworths [i.e. the works of Joseph Whitworth (1803-1887)] much interested there with the specimens of the new Whitworth metal, which is simply cast steel subjected to great hydraulic pressure while in the molten state. Samples of ingots so treated were laid beside ordinary steel ingots and the sections showed a marvellous difference in texture - the air seems to be thoroughly driven out.' In April 1874 he is in Glasgow, where he visits 'Maclaren and Laidlaws works', and at Leeds, where he goes to 'Fairbairn Kennedy & Naylors looking at the Drill for Victoria. The works are fine. The Chief Man who paid us much attention came to the Hotel and ordered a dinner in a private room calling it Yorkshire hospitality. Although annoyed I did not see how to escape from this'. On 12 October 1881: 'Sent in a Victorian Account at our old rates with a letter, altogether for the nine months under the £100.'TWO: Work in Ireland on Fermoy and Lismore Railway, and on Rosslare Harbour:In October 1873 he is in Dublin: 'Arrived at the Imperial Hotel [Dublin], had a bath and good breakfast. Committee of County Waterford Railway Directors met us - the Marquis of Waterford in the chair - Mr Villiers Stuart MP for Waterford Co: and the future Lord Stuart de Decies and others present. Lord Waterford is a big frank looking young man but evidently very weak. Mr Stewart has been a clergyman he too is no man of business and conducted himself absurdly. We met the Directors of the Bank of Ireland a sensible set of men.' He has more meetings in Wexford, and on 11 October 'an excellent pair of horses brought me to Ballyback (25 miles) in less than three hours raining all the time. Examined the site of proposed bridge and crowd to Passage. A Car from Waterford met us there, we got in and proceeded abut two miles when a wheel came off and we were let down the driver being thrown violently from his seat. We had to walk into Waterford 5 miles through continuous rain.' Several stays are recorded at Lismore Castle, the Irish seat of the Duke of Devonshire, who is funding the Fermoy and Lismore Railway.THREE: Work on the Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster Railway, from circa 1874:On 31 March 1874 while at work on the Worcester, Bromyard and Leominster Railway, he writes that he 'Left Powick at 9.30 am drove to Brumford, went over the Bromyard Line as far as Yearsett in a GW first class carriage with E B Evans, Pidcock, and party. A beautiful day after a wet morning. At Yearsett walked to the top of the hill where the cutting is commenced a magnificent view.' On 29 April he 'Met Col Hutchinson the Govt Inspector at Shrub Hill Station and we started a pleasant party of about a dozen to inspect the Bromyard Line. Everything passed off most satisfactorily, we had some lunch at Knightwick Station and a good meal at the Star upon our return about 5.30.' On 16 January 1886: 'All the week have been in and out of Arbitration case between the Bromyard Coy and the G W R. with Pidcock ttrying to get our bills We have agreed to take 5/ in the £ on old debts and 15/ on charges subsequent to the G W agreement this would give me about £765 out of which I ought to net £500.'FOUR: The opening of the Albert Dock, London, 1880:On 24 June 1880 he spends the day 'at the opening of the Albert Dock [in London]. Went up to Waterloo by 9.40 train, joined boat at Waterloo pier. Many friends that we knew on board all invited by Aird. The Duke & Duchess of Connaught left Westminster about 11.45 and we all followed down the river, a very pretty sight. Our boat proved a very slow one, the gathering of the boats in the dock was very pretty. We all then had a meal in one of the sheds. I heard that 4300 sat down. The Duke spoke well and could be heard. We had a good meal. Much delay took place in getting the boats out of the dock and we were very slow in returning. Instead of reaching Waterloo at 4.30 according to programme we landed at Greenwich at 7.30 pm. […] We had heavy rain on the return journey but had cover on the boat. The collection of boats with their occupants the volunteers and the populace with the great display of flags made an uncommonly pretty spectacle as we came out from luncheon.'FIVE: Work for Lord De La Warr, Bexhill, from 1882:On 5 April 1882: 'A letter today from John Aird saying that Lucas & he had mentioned my name to Mr Cope to advise about a sea wall for Lord Delawarr. I saw Cope this afternoon, he told me that he was one of Lord Delawarr's Trustees and they had a large property at Bex Hill near St Leonards which some agents and building people were engaged upon and a Mr Webb had been introduced to them who wanted to build a sea-wall and form an esplanade for about a mile. He offered to to it for £25000 which he would take out in land. The enquiries he had made about the man had been answered on the whole satisfactorily. He said they had a Surveyor or Mr Hill on the spot and he arranged to write and ask if he could meet me on Tuesday morning when I promised to go down.' 11 April 1882: 'I have been down to Bexhill near St Leonards, about some business for Cope & Co to whom my name had been mentioned by Lucas & Aird. I have had a lovely day. The man I met Richd Hill turned out to be a cousin of Ridings. I went down to Warrior Square Station by S E Ry and drove over to Bexhill returning thence by LB & SC getting home at 8.30pm.' On 23 August 1883: 'In the afternoon went to Eastbourne […] I visited the works of the sea wall, they are large and important and are being carried out on the whole very substantially, but there appeared to me a lack of care in many points. I had a little conversation with young Towes who was wonderfully ignorant on some simple matters They all spoke disparagingly of the cement rendering of the face'. The following day he goes 'over the works first thing, then met Lord Delawarr at 12.10 and took him once. He was very agreeable. Mr. Kersey, Webbs secretary came down. I had some time with him and told him freely my complaints of Webbs management. A man representing the West Kent Cement Company came He at once said that the cement was too fresh to be used, and we settled with Webb that it should be spread out.' His description of a train ride from Bexhill to his home in Blackheath on 5 October 1884, underlines his sensitivity: 'a beautiful ride up the trees showing exquisite colours. Going down yesterday, it was foggy most of the way. After Hayward's Heath the sun occasionally broke out and crossing the last wide valley before the Keymer junction I had a view to remember, the sun lit up the extreme distance while there was sufficient light to reveal the tints in the valley, the effect was exquisite'. On 19 August 1893: 'In the late evening recd a letter from Palmer of Hastings asking if we would undertake to pour 100000 gals per day into the stream and they would pump it out of the Furnace brook - I wrote not approving of the scheme, sent Russell copies of the correspondence.'SIX: Work on the Regents Canal, City, and Docks Railway scheme, from 1882:On 17 August 1882: 'Mr Barlow asked me to call upon him today, and on my doing so asked me to join him in acting as his alter ego in the scheme for constructing a Railway from Paddington to the Victoria Docks by way of the Regents Canal. He suggests that I am paid 3 guineas per day certain to be increased to 5 if they get their bill. I said I should be glad of the work and agreed to come up on Monday.' On 22 August 1882: 'Went up to London by the 9 o'clock boat and train to Victoria. Called on Mr Barlow at 2 pm and he took me round to Mess Thomas & Taylor 1 Westminster Chambers, he introduced me and went through the plans of the Regents Canal Railway and ended by making an appointment for Wednesday morning between me and Mr Thomas.' On 23 September 1882: 'To-day rather tried by conversation with young Thomas who said his father understood my position to be very different to what I assumed, we talked in perfect good temper, he said he would ask his father to call on me. I put it straight that my understanding was that I was to be Mr Barlow's alter ego and know everything. He objected to my knowing about the negociations [sic] with the different people and said his father's under the different people and said his father's understanding was that I was simply to examine the sheets as they were prepared. I said we must wait until Mr Barlow's return tomorrow week.' On 26 October 1882 he has a conversation with 'Mr Thomas senr.' regarding his position: 'he expressed himself anxious that we should all work together harmoniously and did not dispute my version of Mr Barlow's desires'. By 5 January 1886 the scheme has got hopelessly bogged down: 'Jno Aird very kindly interested himself about my position with reference to the R[egents] C[anal] R[ailwa]y. He suggested getting Markham to speak to Barlow. Lucas told me yesterday that Forbes had said that Barlow was too old to be relied on for such an undertaking'. On 13 January 1886: 'In the morning I called on Mr Barlow and saw him with his son, told him that I had heard through Lucas that the R. C. scheme was about to start, that Forbes had expressed hesitation about commencing with Mr B as sole Engineer on account of his age and that I had dreamt that I might be of service in conjunction with him. Told him unless I had a defined position acknoledged by the Board it would not be worth my while to touch the work. […] I gathered that his idea was that with a thoroughly good Resident he and his Son could do the rest. […] Aird let fall some words that led me to think that Lucas had some alternative scheme for employing me to guard some interests, but still this was all surmise on my part.'SEVEN: Proposed work at Margate and Felixstowe Harbour, 1883 and 1884:On 23 June 1883 he receives 'a note from Mr

Legg saying that he had mentioned my name to a Mr Roberts who asked for an Engineer to build a Sea Wall for some Lord near Margate. Very kind.' On 2 December 1884: 'Dined with Council Club and attended I[nstitute of]. C[ivil]. E[ngineers]. Hayter [i.e. the engineer Harrison Hayter (1825-1898)] said he had been asked to lay out Felixstowe as I was doing Bexhill He did not care to do it and asked if I would do it. I said yes.' On 13 August 1885: 'In the morning I crossed over to Felixstowe Pier and visited the dock that is being made Broughton the resident Engineer knew me and showed me everything with which I was much interested. In the afternoon we walked down to the harbour and arranged to have the boat (Baldry's) tomorrow to go to Ipswich'.EIGHT: Work on the Suakin-Berber Railway, 1885:On 12 February 1885, Lewis comes home 'to a 6.30 dinner to attend a concert, but while dressing a telegram came asking me to see Mr Childers at 117 Piccadilly, so took a hasty dinner and went back to Town called there about 8.10. He was dressing for dinner but came down and was exceedingly gracious. He told me the Govt. were about to make a railway from Suakin to Berber, Royal Engineers would superintend it but they wanted a Contractor and he wanted to know from me who was in the field. Waring and Lucas & Aird had been mentioned. I said Waring was a very able energetic man but he came badly out of the enquiry by the Attorney General's Committee on Foreign Bonds. I thought Lucas & Aird were the only capable people if they were willing to undertake it. I spoke of their having 4000 men at Tilbury and having recently had 9000 at the Hull Dock and the Hull & Barnsley Ry. He did not wish me to speak to anyone, he was only consulted by his colleagues.' Four days later, 16 February 1885, he receives a telegram summoning him to London, and finds that 'Government had placed contract for line Suakin to Berber in hands of Lucas & Aird', the company 'spoke very nicely they wished me to act in some capacity in the matter. It was settled that I should look after making out the papers for the War Office and that we should feel our way the remuneration to be settled when we see the work to be done'. Two days later (18 February 1885) he is 'Busy about the Suakin & Berber Ry. Called on Sir A[ndrew] Clarke [of the Royal Engineers (1824-1902)] who was very kind in manner but he and his staff evidently chagrinned at the turn events have taken in things being removed from their charge and being given to Lucas & Aird'. On 13 March he has another interview with Clarke, who 'talked very wildly and did not conceal his anger at the arrangement entered into with Lucas & Aird. Later on Major English came to 37 Gt George St with a minute from Mr Brand the effect of which was to put the whole matter into the hands of the Royal Engineers. I found Lucas & Jno Aird discussing with him. They came to the decision that either they must be trusted with the work or they would retire from it. With which I quite concurred.'NINE: Visit to the Tay Bridge works, 1885:In May 1885 he travels to Scotland, and on 21 May calls on 'Mr Kelsey who took me over the Tay Bridge works which I greatly enjoyed', and on the following day accompanies 'Falkiner to the Forth Bridge works - At Dalmeny Station Arrol [the bridge's constructor Sir William Arrol (1839-1913)] joined us. Fowler [Sir John Fowler (1817-1898), chief engineer of the project] received me very heartily as also did Mrs F. They have delightful rooms there, small but sumptuously furnished. I greatly enjoyed my day. The workshops are full of the most wonderful tools, the parts of the bridge are so large and the operation of getting in the foundations is so very interesting. One caisson has come to grief and they are busy scheming a plan to lift it. I lunched with the Fowlers, returned to Edinburgh with Falkiner and Arrol [Sir William Arrol (1839-1913), the bridge's constructor], the latter a very interesting man.'TEN: The opening of the Alexandra Dock in Hull, 1885:He goes to Hull in July 1885, for the opening of the Alexandra Dock, travelling with Arthur Lucas (of the project's contractors Lucas & Aird) and P. G. B. Westmacot of the Institute of Civil Engineers. On 16 July he goes with 'Crouch of Glasgow or Edinh.', 'with a ticket he had for his second daughter on board the Orlando. The Directors and the Corporation in their robes with a good company of ladies filled the vessels, the weather was so bad that we could scarcely see across the Humber but it soon improved, we went across the river and entered the Dock where we were kept some time as there was difficulty in closing the gate, however in time this was effected and Mrs Col Smith cut a ribbon and we entered the dock, several other boats followed us and there was an enormous crowd, the sight was pretty. We landed and went into a shed, where orderly arrangements had been made but these were set aside by the crowd overleaping the barrier and the commotion was so great that we could not hear the speeches and soon left for the open air. A good repast followed about 2.15 well served to about a thousand, the speeches that followed were only heard by the reporters. Afterwards Crouch and I walked round the Dock saw the two graving docks and then walked along the line into Hull. I found Crouch a pleasant companion.' The following day (17 July 1885) he visits the Ouse bridge on the way to Manchester, where he attends a dinner with the printer Emily Faithfull, whom he finds 'a character she is a very big plain woman and wears short cropped hair like a boy but has very pleasant manners and is very intelligent. She smoked a cigar with us'.ELEVEN: The China proposition, 1885:On 1 August 1885 Lewis is told by John Aird 'that some strong people in the City had spoken to them about making Railways in China and although they would not like the matter mentioned yet they were very positive of its resulting in business. He had spoke to Mr Lucas suggesting that it might be worth my while to go out so as to become acquainted with the place and the people and he wished me to think this over. He had told the parties that the first step necessary would be to send out an Engineer and to make surveys and the cost of this would be about £4000. He thought I might take out a couple of young fellows like Pindon and to the whole thing and return in the best position for being appointed Engineer. I have told all this to Emily, although she does not like it she seems quite to fall in with the view that if it comes to business I ought to go.' On 20 August 1885: 'Jno Aird sent me a letter they had received about the Chinese matter from Gordon who was acting for Russell's. This spoke of all being in right training but delays arising. Jno A also advised my applying to be appointed an Assistant Commissioner under the Royal Coms on Depression of Trade, and on his suggestion I wrote to Mr Childers.' On 1 September 1886: 'Jno Aird told me of the interview they had at the Foreign Office. The Govt. people were anxious for them to send out to China to strive after the public works and offered them introductions and help but could make no promise of work. L & A are not disposed to incur such a responsibility, but suggest forming a sindicate [sic] of English financiers and manufacturers for the purpose, they will see Lord Rothschild tomorrow on this. I said that I thought if they could bring Rothschilds and Jardines together and act through Sir Robt Hart they would have a good chance.' On 13 September 1886 he has 'further talk with Jno Aird, he had seen Lord Rothschild who approved of the notion of a syndicate, he would work with Jardines but says they must not be brought in at first.' On 21 September 1886 he goes to Lostwithiel, Cornwall, 'there met Mr Holland with him a Mr Jenkins and a Mr Botterell discussed matters connected with the Lostwithiel & Fowey Ry and a scheme for a line from Wenford to Camelford. After lunching off a very tough chicken pie we walked along the unused Lostwithiel & Fowey Railway to Fowey'. Two days later, 23 September 1886, he goes to East Pool Mine, and goes 'down to the 200 fathom level (1200 feet) I was much interested the driftways were large and thoroughly ventilated'.TWELVE: Visit to the Tilbury Docks works, 1885:On 23 October 1885: 'Went with a party invited by Lucas & Aird to the Tilbury Docks. Party included Edw Woods Galbraith Forrest & myself representing Engineers. Corney Grain Arthur Cecil (Bland) Stacey Maikson Ald: Staples the Lord Mayor Elect Mr Manning the Engineer of the Docks and others, the day proved uninterruptedly wet. We were taken round in a couple of Trucks but could not stop to see details and the men were not at work. Very much struck with the enormous size of everything. There will be accommodation for an immense trade - the work seemed very good. The entrance and two graving docks are lined with Staffordshire blue bricks except at the bottom and invert. The invert has 28 feet of Concrete with 8 rings of concrete faced upon it. The Walls of the dock are of concrete faced with hard stocks down to below water line and are coped with granite. We had a good lunch and kept up our spirits.'THIRTEEN: The opening of the Mersey Railway Tunnel, 1886:On 19 January 1886 he travels up to Liverpool for the opening of the Mersey Railway Tunnel: 'Left by 1.30 train from Euston for Manchester The Prince of Wales, his two sons and suite were in the train, they were taken off at Stfford and carried on to Chester.' The following day he is in Liverpool: 'found the Foxes [Sir Charles Douglas Fox (1840-1921) was one of the two consulting engineers on the project] at the Adelphi [Hotel] a large party, the three brothers and sister and two wrights, the three F's had their wives and two children each. We started out and walked to the Ferry and thence across to Birkenhead. Visited one of the ventilating fans and proceeded to the central station, where in a short time Fox got me on to the Platform on which the Prince was to be received. I met a lot of people I knew amongst them Peacock with whom I spent the greater part of the remainder of the day. Every place was crowded and the day seemed a general holiday. Liverpool was very gaily decorated. The ceremony was short and the Prince's train proceeded through the Tunnel, we went over to look at the Engines under Peacock's guidance [Richard Peacock (1820-1889), locomotive manufacturer of Beyer, Peacock & Co]. Then we went in search of some lunch - I got eventually a good plate of beef, but we landed under difficulties. We then entered at Hamilton Square Station walked down the stairs 162 steps then saw the lifts Peacock & I got separated from the party and deliberately visited the subway the large fan its Engines, the lift and its Engines and walked through the Tunnel to Liverpool - we were much pleased with all we saw, the Subway is an excellent job, so we thought the Engines. The Tunnel was perfectly dry and excellently ventilated At James Street we met Rich of Euston & Anderson who would make us visit his Engines again The lift at this end was not working satisfactorily […] We reached the Adelphi pretty well tired just as the Prince was coming to Lime Street Station the crowd and the excitement were great. In the evening I attended the banquet given by Major & Mr Wadddell [John Waddell (1829-1888)] the Contractors for the work in the large Coffee Room at the Adelphi'. On 2 March 1886, 'At dinner time C Douglas Fox told me that he had heard from Mr Childers and was to go to Windsor on Monday to be knighted. Brunlees [Sir James Brunlees (1816-1892), Fox's co-engineer on the Mersey Railway Tunnel] seems to have been left out.'FOURTEEN: Chairmanship of the Gold Hill Mining Company (North Carolina), 1886: (See the reference to the company in A. P. Tischendorf, 'North Carolina and the British Investor, 1880-1910', North Carolina Historical Review, October 1955.) On 19 February 1886: 'Hargrove sent for me to introduce me to a Mr Holland & Mr Tregellas, who want a chairman for a company to resuscitate a Gold Mine in North Carolina U. S. Hargrove had suggested me. He says Holland is a man of wealth and all they want is an honest man who will devote some attention to it.' The following day, 20 February 1886: 'Called on Tregellas who showed me section of workings and told me a good deal about it. The scheme had been worked and mined by Baron Grant [Albert Grant, born Abraham Gottheimer (1831-1889), fraudster], was in liquidation, a syndicate had been formed to purchase it of which Holland and he were the largest contributors, all he said seemed fair and straight and the money needed seems to be forthcoming.' On 12 April 1886: ' Attended meeting of the Gold Hill Compy and was elected a Director with a view to being appointed chairman. Harry Pridon was elected also.' On 5 May 1886: 'Have decided that if I can arrange the one or two matters of business immediately pressing I will go to America the end of next week. The universal testimony I get is that June in N Carolina is greatly to be preferred to September or October and there is hope that more may be stirring in the Autumn than now.' (The journal skips from 13 May to 14 July 1886, the diary of his 'trip to America' being 'in a small book', not present.) In a long entry for 17 July he writes that his passage home was 'not disturbed by an hour's rough sea', but that '[t]he passing the Customs was one of the most disagreeable incidents of my journey owing to the great number of passengers (some 550)'. On his return he is 'much upset by news that Cap at Gold Hill has taken to drink, there was no sign of it when I was there'. On 24 July he confirms that ' has taken to drinking, but the telegram this morning says 83 oz gold cleared up from 12 days run'.FIFTEEN: Visit to the Hastings Harbour works, 1897:On 15 September 1897 he goes over 'the works of the new Harbour being formed at Hastings. I called at the Office of the Contractor Messrs Punchard Mr Taggart & Lowther, and there found Walmisley with Kidd the Contractors Agent and I understood Watson the representative of Carey the Engineer W. at once introduced me, all were very civil and we walked round the works together. On one side Coode's groin has been raised to a level of 10 feet above HWS. and then to be extended by a breakwater 20 feet wide at top, and on the other side a temporary timber viaduct has been erected for a certain distance and then a similar breakwater is made some distance. Eventually the two arms are to enclose 22 acres with a mouth 240 feet wide with 12 feet a low water. All is being made with concrete in mass, put in with hopper bottom skips. They have a good concrete mixer that will turn out 400 c yds in a day.'SIXTEEN: Foreign trips, 1873-1883:(For Lewis's visit to America, 1886, see the section on the Gold Hill Mining Company, above.) The earliest journal begins, in June 1873, with Lewis travelling from Harwich to Rotterdam (he 'chums' on the journey with 'a Mincing Lane man' named Charles Stringer). On 16 June, after a visit to 'Pieters house', there is a meeting at 'Pinkoff's office', after which Lewis's party proceeds to Leyden, 'accompanied by Mr Skieltjes [i.e. Thomas Joannes Stieltjes senior (1819-1878)] a Dutch engineer - a superior man - a member of the lower house, and a Mr Goldsmit the legal adviser of Pinkoff's company'. On 10 July 1873 he is back in England, meeting 'Mr Wm Chadwick [(1810-1870), Leeds engineering contractor and IME member] and Mr Beardsall of Manchester' at Charing Cross Station. 'We took tickets via Calais to Cologne. Chadwick is a fat good tempered fellow evidently with a consciousness that there is no great need for him to work. Beardsall is a confidential clerk evidently a worker.' On the same trip he encounters 'Beeston' and 'Hulton Vignioles', and spends several days at the 1873 Vienna International Exhibition. He parts with Chadwick , writing ruefully: 'He did not develop into a genius. Smokes perpetually seldom ventures an observation, is withal good tempered and companionable'. In July 1874 he is in Germany, 'inspecting Barmen and Elberfeld Tramway', before travelling to Berlin and Danzig. At the end of September 1883 he is again in Holland, and describes a trip to Seraing: 'We were received by Mr the Director General and a little later a distinguished party of officers of all nations arrived in uniform - We were conducted round the works which are very extensive and in the most wonderful order the cleanliness is extraordinary. The Société Cockerill has works also at Antwerp and in Spaine and employs 11,000 men. There struck me as an absence of novel devices. The Place was the Estate of the Cardinal French Bishop and the Palace forms the residence of the Manager and officers, the courtyard has been built over with a machine shop'.SEVENTEEN: His career:On 1 January 1884 he complains: 'The year begins with poor business prospects I have nothing in hand but the Bexhill job.' He reviews the previous year on 1 January 1886: 'The past year has been signalised by many special mercies - I began with very poor prospects in business but in February the Suakin-Berber Ry matter arose and the year closes with an ample income having been provided. I start this with still smaller prospects measured by work in hand but feel assured the way will be made plain and enough provided.' On 30 October 1894: 'At lunch told Woodall of my intention to give up work at the end of the year. He recommended me to seek some good Directorships, he himself held five each bringing in about £200 per annum. He thought that I should have no difficulty in getting on any of the Water Companies Boards. I mentioned that I was qualified for the So Met Gas Co.' (By 29 April 1898 he is a director on the 'B W & G Board'.)EIGHTEEN: At the Institution of Civil Engineers:On 9 January 1883: 'Dined with Council and afterwards attended I.C.E. Where Brunlees delivered his address, an interesting one and read much better than anyone had anticipated.' On 23 December 1884: 'Dined with Council Club and attended Annual Meeting of I. C. E. Old council re-elected and Stileman [i.e. Francis Croughton Stileman (1824-1889)] (for whom I voted) as the new man. Heard that he was only 5 ahead of Anderson who was again closely run by Mansergh. Meeting very pleasant.' On 25 February 1885: 'Dined at a most magnificent entertainment given by Sir Frederick Brammall to the Council & Officers of the I.C.E. The Goldsmith's Company placed their Hall at his disposal and he took the opportunity of inviting members of the "Inventions" Committee and the Ordnance Committee - We sat down about 80 in the large hall, which was splendidly illuminated and with tables set off by most magnificent plate. The dinner was first rate and so were the wines. The speeches were fair. All seemed to enjoy themselves.' On 29 April 1885: 'Attended annual dinner of I.C.E. at the Conservatory of the Horticultural Gardens. 500 present. Dukes of Edinburgh & Cambridge the principal guests, a very magnificent gathering the display of flowers decorating the tables and the room was exceedingly beautiful, the dinner was partly hot and partly cold and all the viands and the wines were good, but the waiting was not equal to the occasion. I got a sufficiently good meal, but the greatest draw back were the intolerable draughts and the impossibility of hearing any of the speakers. I presided at the extreme western table. There were 19 cross tables. We were to have seen the Inventions Exhibition and its Electric Lighting, but this proved not to be ready, so were over earlier'. On 17 June 1885: 'Dined in Chinese Pavilion at the Inventions a dinner to Sir Fred Bramwell [(1818-1903), then President of the I.C.E.], a party of 40 a pleasant evening, the dinner was not in all respects good, the waiting bad and the hot dishes with the exception of the soup lukewarm the waiters too wore dirty white aprons. Woods who was chairman made a great hash of his speech his and Sir Fredk's being the only ones. Sitting and watching the illuminations including the fountain was very pleasant. The Marquess of Hamilton young Owen, the President of the Mechanical Engineers (Head) and of the Telegraph Engineers (Spagnioletti) were there as guests.' On 24 February 1886: 'I dined at a grand entertainment given by Sir Fred Bramwell to the Council of the I C E and others at the Goldsmiths Hall - Sat next Mr Henry Doulton and found him very agreeable. A successful evening.' On 27 April 1886: 'I attended Institution dinner held at Lincoln's Inn Hall The most successful public dinner I remember The Prince of Wales P. Albert Victor and Duke of Cambridge present. The Premises charming and the dinner well served.' On 7 May 1886: 'Attended farewell banquet to Mr Murray-Smith a grand and most successful affair Duke of Cambridge in the chair. M. S made an excellent speech. About 300 sat down the dinner was well served.'NINETEEN: The London scientific world:On 25 June 1880 he goes to 'Dr Siemens [Sir Charles William Siemens (1823-1883)] at Kensington to an "evening" […] A large gathering […] The Hungarian Band, very skilful and effective but too noisy for a private room. The ladies were very handsomely dressed, but not many outrageous costumes. Several leading people in the scientific world were present. Got home at 1 a.m.' On 17 May 1893: 'In the evening we shared a carriage with Mr Lemon and Annie and drove up to the Imperial Institute to the Prince of Wales Reception. There was an enormous crowd and no proper "reception" could be held but the Prince and all the members of the Royal family at home perambulated the galleries in procession and twice passed us almost in close contact. The Duke of York and Princess May were among them also a number of distinguished civilians amongst other Gladstone, who while looking very old appeared to be wonderously [sic] vigorous'.TWENTY: Invention and innovation, 1878-1883:On 22 January 1878 he attends an 'Institution paper on dynamo-Electric machines, illustrated by an electric light, which was very brilliant but flickered a good deal.' There is a further demonstration on 5 February 1878: 'At the Institution the discussion on dynamo-Electric machines was concluded, the Electric light was again exhibited, it was very powerful and showed the colour in the decorations of the room and in the pictures better than they are generally seen by a London day, but the light flickered very much and the noise of the was most disagreeable, we all got the impression that it was quite unsuited for household purposes. Mr Woodhall of the Phoenix Gas Co. made a good speech in favour of gas continuing to be used in preference for ordinary purposes.'On 4 June 1878 he 'went up to Presidents conversazzione at Indian Museum. A good many present but it struck me as being destitute of the usual country members. Heard the Phonograph saw the Phoneidoscope a machine shewing different combinations of colour in answer to different sounds.' In September 1878 he and his family visit France, spending time at the third Paris World's Fair. On 1 March 1883: 'went up by 2.20 train to office, dined at Council Club and attended second lecture by Sir Fred Bramwell on the "Telephone" A most interesting and instructive lecture, the room was crowded at 20min before 8. and great numbers must have been unable to enter.'TWENTY-ONE: Book Meetings:On 29 October 1884 he attends 'Book Meeting at the Halls' and is told by the industrialist John Vavasseur (1834-1908) that 'the Government had agreed to give him £10,000 for his "rings"' (i.e. his invention of a copper rotating ring for the projectiles of breech-loading guns). On 26 November 1884 there is a 'Book Sale at the Glasiers I was auctioneer Books went fairly well, a good supper'. On 14 January 1885 he attends a 'Book Meeting at Miss Potter's'.TWENTY-TWO: Education and Liberal politics:On 30 October 1884 he attends the 'Committee of Congregational School [in Caterham and] was put on House and General Purposes Committee', advising on the construction of a 'new School Buildings'. He teaches regularly at Boone Street Sunday School in Blackheath, writing on 23 November 1884 that it is 'pretty well attended, some of the boys very troublesome', and on 27 November: 'A delightful meeting of the Sunday Sch Teachers from the Howe School, Boone St and East Greenwich at Mr Wilsons 54 present a few visitors'. On 9 October 1885: 'Had a letter in the morning from G B Bruce saying that I had been nominated by Sidney Buxton MP as candidate in Westminster for the Lon: School Board, but I was not in any way committed and asking me to see Mrs Westlake at the L. B. Offices at 2 pm he had to leave for Glasgow. It was proposed that I should run with Mr Hoare and thus the expenses would be halved. Saw Mrs Westlake Mr Hoard and Mr Freeman who strongly urged me to stand. Later Mr Hoare called for me and took me to Mr Johnson the Agent for the Liberal Committee I was pleased with what I saw of the man, but not with the people he seemed to be acting with. […] The Atheists seem to have a good deal of influence.' He withdraws his nomination within days. On 6 November 1894: 'Received a letter from Clifford Smith informing me that I had been proposed and adopted at a meeting of the Progressivists as Candidate for Pack Ward for the Lewisham Board of Guardians'. TWENTY-THREE: His son W. A. Lewis, undergraduate at King's College, Cambridge:On 13 January 1884: 'Aldersey returned from Cambridge. He seems much disappointed with his work and thinks there is no chance of his having got anything.' In October 1884 Lewis and his family visit Aldersey in Cambridge, and are 'much pleased' with 'the "bird room"' in the Cavendish Buildings (formed by the recent raising of the roof). On 1 October 1885 Lewis complains of his son: 'The influence of Cambridge on his has not been good'. On 4 November 1885 he visits Aldersey: 'We went to his rooms with which all were delighted notwithstanding the rain the view from his smaller room over the "Backs" was beautiful. We had a good lunch and a light dinner. I called on Mr Prothero who spoke very kindly of Aldersey, lamented his lack of health and energy in his studies, […] Oscar-Browning [sic] came in, was introduced and invited us to his rooms, to which we went and were much interested in his collection of curios.' (see also 6 January 1886: 'Aldersey who went down to Wivelson on a visit to Oscar Browning returned today'.)TWENTY-FOUR: Miscellaneous:On 14 September 1873, he meets with 'Bayley Capt Killick and Mr Macauley' and 'a large party', and travels down to Southampton to inspect 'the "Nizam" lying opposite Netley Hospital - a beautiful breakfast was immediately served we then inspected the ship which was fitted up with every comfort - and with the latest appliances, including steam steering apparatus - we went over the on Stoke's bay backwards and forwards, the average speed being 12 ½ notts [sic] the Engine making about 48 revolutions per minute'. On 1 March 1881: 'Caught 10 o'clock train at Paddington - there met Wm Clarke and accompanied him to Birmingham where we examined the course of the Midland proposed line through the Jews Burying ground and up an easy deviation suggested by Clarke. Dined at GW Hotel and returned by the 7.25 reaching home 12.25.' On 1 September 1881 he travels with his sons Aldersey and Sidney to Portsmouth, 'and went to the Dockyard. At the gate met with Mr Miller of Blackheath who sent a man to take us round and we saw the block machinery, the Smithy, the Fitting Shops We also went over the "Crocodile" troop ship and on board the "Devastation" We saw a "Torpedo Boat" and several wellknown Men of War and Transports'. On 10 October 1881: 'Went with Crawford Barlow to Belsize Tunnel and Works, an interesting inspection.' On 12 July 1893: 'Vavasseur drove me over to Plumstead Board of Works Office at Charlton in the morning We looked at the Bexley Heath Railway Plans and I have today written a report pointing out how I think steps may be taken to compel the Contractor to proceed with greater care.' On 1 March 1894: 'Went down to Woking on the invitation of a Mr Cooper (Patterson & Cooper) to see the Hermite System of dealing with sewage in operation.' On 8 October 1886 he goes to 'Woolwich Arsenal with Iron & Steel Institute', and spends the following afternoon 'at Ransome's Wood Works with Colonials and Engineers. Some fine woods worked.'