[ Annotated by Author ]The History of the Church of Rome. to the End of the Episcopate of Damasus, A.D. 384 (with related items).

Edward John Shepherd, Rector of Luddesdown.
Publication details: 
London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1851
SKU: 18874

Author's own copy. Pp.vxi.541, cr. 8vo, with additional "Corrections" page, hf-lea, raised bands, worn, contents good, interleaved with additional blank pages, a few of which have notes in Shepherd's hand. The book derives from the residual archive of the family of E.J. Shepherd. No copy recorded in Lambeth Palace Library Catalogue. With (from the same archive): the Accounts, 1851-1853, prepared by Longmans giving costs and sales, these in MS. but they are on the reverse of a lengthy printed statement by Longman's headed "Paternoster Row, London | January 1843. | Messrs. Longman and Co.'s terms for publishing books on Commission for Authors, Booksellers, Etc." So this book was published on commission (expenses plus 10%). And: pages from "The Guardian", 24 Sept. 1851, pp.680-681, including a substantial and learned review of this book.