[The Almshouse Charity Estate and the Fifteen Houses Charity Estate, Baldock, Hertfordshire.] Itemised manuscript double-entry account books for the trustees of the two charities, covering thirty years, with entries signed off for the commissioners

[The Trustees of the Almshouse Charity Estate and of the Fifteen Houses Charity Estate, both in Baldock, Hertfordshire]
Publication details: 
[Baldock, Hertfordshire.] Almshouse Charity Estate: entries between 10 October 1865 and 5 July 1895. Fifteen Houses Charity Estate: 10 November 1862 and 23 September 1894. Both books signed off on 29 June 1896.

The two volumes in matching green cloth quarter-bindings, with marbled covers (one set green and the other brown). Both affected by damp at the head, and in worn bindings, but in acceptable overall condition, with text entirely legible. Two interesting and informative documents of local and social history. ONE (Almshouses Charity): 64pp., tall 8vo. In manuscript on cover: 'ALMSHOUSES CHARITY ACCOUNTS'. Among the signatories are two Rectors of Baldock, W. J. Skilton and John D. Nairne, and T. Rigby Kewley, Thomas G. Simpson and Frederick Archdale.

Four Autograph Letters Signed (all 'C. Morley Knight.') from Captain Charles Morley Knight to Charles Edward Fagan (all 'Fagan'), Secretary of the British Museum, discussing Trustees (Sir Archibald Geikie; Lord Rosebery; Maryon-Wilson; Rothschild).

Captain Charles Lewis William Morley Knight (1863-1937), livestock breeder in Argentina and Trustee of the British Museum [Charles Edward Fagan (1855-1921), Secretary of the British Museum]
Publication details: 
One on letterhead of the English Club, Bartolomé Mitre 478, Buenos Aires; 18 November 1910. The three others on letterhead of 11 Hesketh Crescent, Torquay, one of them from 1912 and the other two from 1913.

All four items in very good condition, on lightly-aged paper. Totalling 16pp., 12mo. On four bifoliums. In addition to being one of the Trustees of the British Museum, Knight was, as one of the proprietors of Knight and Porteus of Argentina, owner with his partner Colonel John James Porteus (1857-1948) of 'the largest herd of red Aberdeen-Angus in the world' (TImes, 24 April 1939), which was sold after his death. ONE: On letterhead of the English Club, Buenos Aires. 18 November 1910. 4pp., 12mo. Docketed 'Wrote 20 Dec.

Syndicate content