[ Kennet and Avon Canal Company. ] Two printed circulars, by Dundas and Page respectively, each including reports of the committee of management and statements of accounts; second featuring lithographed map by Cartwright and notice of Lord Amesbury.

Kennet and Avon Canal Company [ Charles Dundas and Frederick Page, Chairmen; Lord Amesbury; R. Cartwright, London lithographer; Sir John Edward Harington of Ridlington, 8th Baronet (1760-1831) ]
Publication details: 
[ Kennet and Avon Canal Company. ] Marlborough: 20 July 1830 and 17 July 1832.
SKU: 19594

The 57-mile canal section of the two rivers was constructed between 1794 and 1810. In the face of competition by the Great Western Railway it fell into disuse in the latter nineteenth century. A process of restoration began a hundred years later, and the canal is now a popular amenity. Both items in good condition, lightly aged and worn. Both headed on first page 'Report of the Committee of Management, of the Kennet and Avon Canal Navigation.' Both are 3pp., 8vo, on bifoliums. ONE: The report covers the whole of the first page, and is signed in type 'Charles Dundas, Chairman.' The second page carries a letter from 'Thomas Merriman & Sons, | Principal Clerk', dated from Marlborough, 23 July 1830. The third page carries a 'Statement of Accounts for the last Year', in double entry, the first of the two accounts on the page headed 'Annual Account of the Receipts and Expenditure of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, for the Year ending 29th March, 1830.' The account is made out by the firm's auditors Thomas Sanders and J. E. Bicheno. Addressed in manuscript on reverse of second leaf, with postmark dated 11 August 1830, to 'Sir J. E. Harington Bart. | Berkeley Square.' TWO: Report on first page as in Item One, signed in type by 'Frederick Page, Chairman. | Marlborough, 17th July, 1832.' The first twenty-two lines of the report constitute a memorial tribute, beginning: 'The Committee cannot enter on the Report of this year, without first adverting to the great loss which the Proprietors have sustained by the death of The Right Honorable Charles Dundas, Lord Amesbury, their late Chairman. | The imperfect scheme, projected in 1788, of extending the Navigation of the River Kennet to Hungerford, was by him enlarged to that of a connexion between Bristol and the Metropolis; and his personal exertions towards the accomplishment of this improved plan, were never from that time relaxed, although they were unavailing, until December, 1792; when the spirit of Canal Enterprize enabled him to carry it into execution.' Taking up around half of the second page is a map by 'R. Cartwright Lithc. Printer 1 Warwick Place Bedford Row', 'intended to illustrate the foregoing Report by showing that the Tonnage desirable between Bitton and Bristol in the West, and between Bitton and the Dundas Aqueduct to the East from Coals brought from the Gloucestershire Collieries will be a new source of Income, as the quantity of Coal at present carried on those parts of the line is very inconsiderable.' At the foot of the second page is reproduced a letter from Merriman & Sons. Covering the whole of the third page is a double-entry 'Annual Account of the Receipts and Expenditure of the Kennet and Avon Canal Company, for the Year ending 29th May, 1832.' Made out, as Item One, by Sanders and Bicheno. The document is addressed in manuscript, on reverse of second leaf, with Avon postmark dated 7 August 1832, to 'C Balfour Esqre | Berkeley Street'. From the papers of the Harington family of Ridlington (Charles Balfour being their agent). The only other copy traced at the British Library.