George Fainstone [ Yosel Fainstein ] (d.1956), of the American Engineering Corps with the Russian Railway Service, American Expeditionary Force Siberia [ Bolshevik Revolution ]
Between 20 March 1917 and 14 September 1918. One on letterhead of 'American Engineering Corps with the R. R. S. [ Russian Railway Service ]'. From Tomsk, Odessa, Vladivostok and other parts of Russia.
As part of American involvement in the Russian Civil War, the Russian Railway Service Corps was formed by President Wilson to operate the Trans-Siberian Railroad. Details regarding the author are sketchy. In 1929 the London Gazette reported the naturalisation of 'Fainstein, Yosel (known as George Fainstone); Russia; Upholsterer and Furniture Manufacturer; 16, Ravenscroft Avenue, Golders Green, Middlesex. 20 August, 1929.' Fainstone died in England in 1956 and his wife Helene six years later. Ten more of his RRS letters, all dating from 1918, are in the Imperial War Museum.
Commander Trevor Orchard Chichele Plowden (1896-1942), RN [HMS Firedrake; HMS Ajax; Royal Navy]
Autograph Letter on letterhead of HMS Firedrake, 18 November 1916. Typed Copy of Letter from HMS Ajax, Mediterranean Fleet, 19 February 1920, Constantinople
For biographical information about Commander Plowden, see the Times obituary quoted at the end of this description. All five items in good condition, on lightly-aged paper. Item One: Typed copy of letter from 'Trevor' to 'Mother and Pater'. 2pp., 4to. Headed 'Copy'. With envelope addressed to Miss Martin Wood, c/o Lt. Gen Phelps, Woodbourne Grange, Edgbaston. (As Item Three shows, this copy was made by Plowden's mother for his aunt.) 'I told you we expected to go to the Black Sea from here and we did very shortly afterwards, to Odessa.
4pp., 12mo. Bifolium. On lightly-aged and creased paper, with short closed tear at centre of gutter. The first page is headed 'THE ACID TEST', and carries an announcement by Maurice, Roberts and Dryhurst, reading: 'The Georgia Committee, first formed in 1906 as the "Georgia Relief Committee," was revived in 1922 by the friends of Georgian Independence, and is open for membership to all supporters of the Rights of Small Nations.