[ The Oxford Architectural Society. ] Bookplate of the Society, by the wood-engraver Orlando Jewitt, on mount signed by secretaries John Portal and Robert Wilmot.

Author: 
Orlando Jewitt [ Thomas Orlando Sheldon Jewitt ] (1799-1869), architectural wood-engraver [ The Oxford Architectural Society; The Society for promoting the Study of Gothic Architecture
Publication details: 
[ Executed for the Oxford Architectural Society. ] Inscription on mount dated 'A: A: May 1850.'
£320.00
SKU: 20101

A scarce piece of Oxford ephemera. The Society for promoting the Study of Gothic Architecture was founded in 1839; renamed the Oxford Architectural Society in 1848; renamed the Oxford Architectural and Historical Society in 1860; merged with The Oxfordshire Archaeological Society in 1972 to become The Oxfordshire Architectural and Historical Society. In good condition, printed in black ink on a 15 x 11 cm piece of white India paper, laid down on a 22 x 18.5 cm grey card mount. At the foot of the design, in tiny letters, is engraved 'O. JEWITT. | DEL. & SC.' The engraving depicts an image of the Virgin in an alcove, within an ornate gothic architectural setting, with the coat of arms of Oxford University at her feet, and the words 'ARCHITEC . OXON | SIGIL . SOCIETATIS' along the borders; the whole enclosed within a vesica piscis. It is 9.5 cm high and 6 cm wide. At the bottom left of the mount is the inscription: 'With the Compts. Of the Secretaries - | A: A: May 1850.' At bottom right are the signatures 'Jn Portal' and 'Robert Wilmot'. See Jewitt's entry in the Oxford DNB. From the papers of Richard Harington, Principal of Brasenose College. Note: Not established whether ever used by the Society.